Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Farmers Market

This weekend Dan and I went to the farmers market in Old Town Omaha. It was so much fun! It actually started raining while we were down there, but it felt great! Last year when Dan and I went to the farmers market, we were really impressed at the great produce and prices, but this year we haven't been so impressed. Their prices just weren't very good and the produce seemed to be A LOT smaller than last year. We contribute it to them now taking food stamps, which is great for those with the stamps, but not so good for us who don't. We're hoping that towards the end of summer, more particularly harvest time, our little farmers market will prove it's self again! Nonetheless, we got some pretty alright deals!I got this great homemade salsa recipe from my friends blog and just had to try it! Dan and I LOVE chips and salsa, so this was perfect!

It has tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, salt, garlic, and lime!!! Honestly there is no sense in putting down the amounts of every ingredient because really you can make it anyway you like. It's just the combination of ingredients that makes this salsa so yummy! I used too much cilantro in my first batch and decided I didn't like how "over powering" the cilantro was. It seemed like that was all I could taste. So in my next batch I threw out the recipe I was following and went to town making it how we like it! Dan was the official taster-YUM!

I love this machine!!!
'Tis the season for zucchini! It was all over the market! We made a stir fry with them and they were delicious! I was actually really surprised at how much Dan loved them!

Dan and I pretty much think we've figured out the farmers market. We've figured out that the more pricey vendors tend to sit along the outer edged of the market, but as you make your way to the center of the market, you reach the cheaper venders!!

Dan is all business when it comes to these types of things. He likes to get in there and get out. I, on the other hand, love to take my time and putts around at all the booths, even if I don't intend to purchase anything. But mostly I like to sample nearly everything people are handing out! It's all part of the experience for me. Someday though, with a few more of "market outings," I know I'll convert Dan into a market lover too!

1 comment:

  1. CHELSSSSSS you have become a blogging fooool lately! I love it!! I know I dont comment a bunch, but I love reading your posts! Tell Dan hello for us!! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete