Saturday, October 1, 2011

"You've Had A Birthday Shout HURRAY!"


Last year on my birthday, I had to work, so this year I asked for the day off. BUT Dan had OB/GYN clinic until 5pm, so I was solo until then.

I woke up around 8, when my dad called to wish me a happy birthday. It was great to wake up to a call like that. For one, it was my dad & for two he was the first to wish me a happy birthday! We chatted for about 15 minutes until he had to get back to the real world and then I looked out the window & noticed it was raining. Bummer. Now what to do until 5pm?

Naturally, I called my mom, we chatted for about an hour or so and then I decided to go for a run. I got all dressed up in capri running pants and a dark black running shirt.

About 15minutes into my 8 miler, the sun popped out and it was HOT. I was zapped with a mile or 2 left to go. There is one saying about Omaha weather that I now know to be true: "If you don't like the weather, wait a second and it'll change"

So I got sun burned on my birthday. Bummer. (Now that I'm in nursing school, I avoid the sun like the plague. We're practically taught that: skin+sun=cancer)

The rest of the day I read, ran some errands, & baked my birthday cake.

At about 6pm, Dan got home. (Being a med student's wife, I've learned that: If Dan says he'll be home at 5, that really means he'll be home at 7--Dan got off at 6 because he told his Dr. it was my birthday :)

I think it was Father's Day when I first discovered that Dan's family & my family have the exact same tradition for giving birthday gifts: Heavy, heavy hangover! I about passed out when they started singing the song. That pretty much sealed the deal, jk!



Dan's mom gave me some table cloths and hot pads in all different holiday prints!
Thanks, Julie!


She also gave me a cute wall hanging.



My mom gave me this cute skirt, which I wear at least once a week!



Here's the adorable lacy top to match!


And my ultimate favorite, the pencil skirt that also goes great with the matching top!!!
Thanks, mom & dad!


And Dan had Steph send me 2 white wonder tees, aka my clothing staple!
Thanks Steph & Dan!


And here's the birthday outfit!


A couple days before my birthday, we discovered a website filled with free things you can get for your birthday. So we signed up for them. On birthday I got a free Krispy Kream Donut & split it with Dan!



As for dinner, we went to Famous Dave's BBQ, aka the best BBQ ever! My meal was also free!


They let us try all their sauces on homemade potato chips, yum!
Dan's favorite sauce was Dave's original, but I liked them all!


Here's our meal!!! We also got some extra ribs because they were having a special (1/2 off!)




Did I mention my meal was free & so was my surprise dessert, which had a massive firework on it?!?!?!?


We didn't have enough room for the cake I made, but we still invited our friends over and had a great time scarfing down lemon cake anyways!

I guess turning 23 really wasn't as bad as I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment