Wednesday, August 8, 2012

America's Birthday

For the Fourth of July, Dan had the day off! We kicked off the day with a red, white, and blue themed breakfast. Dan made me blue pancakes topped with whip cream and delicious strawberries. I made him turkey bacon and eggs! It was so yummy! Wish I would have snapped a picture.

After breakfast, we went to the Ralston parade, which is just South of Omaha.   

Presentation of the Colors

 We packed a cooler full of popsicles, trail mix, and drinks to keep us cool and hydrated. I think it was 100+ degrees. Without the shade, we would have melted. The treats kept this guy a happy camper! Isn't he so cute!!!

Just had to take a picture of this noise maker.

America's Birthday Cake (very impressive)

It wouldn't be a parade without the John Deere tractor, perhaps Dan's favorite part of the parade!

Such a cute float! 

Dan had just finished his ER rotation the previous week and made a joke about how he had just seen this ambulance the week prior.  Oh, boy!

 It wouldn't be a birthday without presents...
...and ice cream cones, cupcakes, and pinwheels!

There were so many people at the parade that we could hardly see the floats. Dan could care less, but I was a little disappointed. I had to stand the entire time to get a small glimpse of the floats. I'm glad there was a good turn out, but come on everyone and their dog was there! What's a parade without being able to take a bag full of candy home with you?? Unfortunately, this was literally the best spot we could find in the shade. At least we got some shade!

After the parade, we took naps and ended up having a BBQ with a bunch of our neighbors. I made my grandma's delicious potato salad, which turned out amazing and absolutely delicious! Dan and I finished up the evening playing UNO (Dan won!), watching movies and amazing fireworks across the street from our house! 
Happy Birthday, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment