Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Not So Fun Birthday

To be completely honest, my 24th birthday was quite a disaster. I have to admit, it was probably one of the worst I've ever had. 

But I'll let you be the judge of that. 

I first realized my birthday was on a Sunday about a month before the big day when my friend at church asked me if I would substitute for her in primary by teaching a lesson during Sharing Time. I was so excited to teach the primary children. Since I was released over a year ago, I've missed my primary kids. 
The week before my birthday, I was asked to pick up a few extra shifts at work. One such shift, included the Saturday night shift before my birthday. No big deal right? Well, in the end, I worked something like six night shifts leading up to my birthday. 
I was exhausted. 
When I got off of work the Sunday morning of my birthday, I rushed home and started on my lesson. I planned to prepare for it earlier during the week, but with picking up so many shifts, I never had a chance. But I knew from reading the lesson plan a few weeks prior that it would be a simple one.
Once everything was planned, I started getting drowsy. I had been awake for about 21 hours. So I laid down on my bed for a few minutes and called Dan to have him keep me awake. 
He urged me to get some sleep. But I only had about 20 minutes before I had to be at church for sacrament. I didn't want to miss the main reason I go to church week after week. So I decided to get up and eat something. 
Finally, I left for church. Sacrament was a blur. I don't quite remember what the talks were about.
When it came time for nursery, I was left single handed. Ten kids all under age three and just me. Everyone in the primary presidency was gone on vacation, hence me substituting for Sharing Time. 
When it was time for me to go into the primary, I stuck my head in the Relief Society room and asked for a substitute for nursery.
My Sharing Time lesson started out great, but then it went all down hill. When I noticed the younger kids getting restless, I turned my attention to them, but then the older kids started losing interest. My patience was fried. But we got through it. I bore my testimony and I felt the spirit even if the kiddos didn't. 
When church was over, one of the sister missionaries caught me in the busy hallway as I was walking out to my car and asked why I looked so worn out. I was mortified and ready to crawl under a rock. I mentioned I had been up for 24 hours now and that's probably why I looked out of it.
When I got in the car to drive home, my hands started shaking, my eyes were closing. I was so tired. Immediately, I called Dan and cried all my way home. 
Once my head hit my pillow, I was out cold. 
I missed every single call from my family wishing me happy birthday. When I woke up that night, it was dark outside and I had to be to work Monday morning for the day shift.
I called my parents. I opened my birthday presents my mom sent. I called Dan. I ate left overs. 
Finally, I showered and went to bed. So glad my birthday was over. 

Once my sweet friend, Justine found out I had a birthday and did nothing to celebrate it, she immediately asked if I wanted to go out for pedis. I couldn't pass it up!

Justine, baby Jane, and Kylee


Love those massage chairs!


The final prject


Purple, sparkles, aqua


Close up!


Just relaxing after a much needed birthday pampering!




1 comment:

  1. Sorry your birthday was a bummer! I just totally know that feeling. I don't think anyone who hasn't worked night shifts (especially all week) every really gets it. That shaky, sick, mental cottonball feeling that just sucks! Get lots of rest and hang in there! Cute pedi. You totally deserved it.

    ReplyDelete