Wednesday, February 13, 2013

20 Weeks!

This weekend was a tough one. 
I ended up having to work the weekend and got sick from one of my sweet patients.
--The joys of being a nurse--


Otherwise, Dan and I have been busy, busy, busy with work.
Dan loves the NICU, but when a delivery lands late in the day, he ends up having a LONG day, too. Sometimes his day can last 4 hours or it can last 12. It just depends on mother nature. 
I have had Dan on special assignment while working in the NICU. It's been his job to find out what causes these NICU mommas to go into labor early.  
Dan has been glad to report that many of the mothers have STDs, are in their later 30s, or have a lot of health problems themselves. Rarely, is it something wrong with the baby! 
Relief!
Last night, I was laying on my right side on the couch and I felt our little boy roll over to my right side!! It was the best feeling I have ever felt. I got really emotional and started to cry! Dan just held me and tried his hardest to feel the baby. He was pretty sure he could palpate his heart beat! 
This little memory pretty much sums up this past week: 
Emotional! 
In fact, we were looking at boy clothes, while the pharmacy was filling my prescriptions, and out of the blue I started to cry when I picked up a newborn baby boy outfit. 
Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would cry just looking at a tiny piece of clothing. Just thinking about holding my precious baby boy in such a short while pulled at the strings of my heart. 
Dan wrapped me in his arms and kissed my forehead and I lost it. 
Alligator tears started flowing just thinking about how blessed we are. 

Here's to trying to be less emotional this next week!

This week our baby is:
-Developing his senses: taste, smell, hearing, seeing, & touch
-Able to hear & recognize my voice
-Likes to stretch his legs
-The size of a Barbie doll and weighs 9-10 ounces
-Covered with vernix (a thick creamlike material covering his skin)


2 comments:

  1. Sorry you had a tough week! I understand the emotions. Hormones keep us (and our hubbies) on our toes! I also have an anterior placenta this time around. It is quite different from the last two times. Our sweet girl feels very quiet, and I can usually just feel her way down low, compared to my other two (at least so far). But on ultrasound she is just as active as can be. So excited to see these two cuties together someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, Lori! Your comment was just what I needed. The Miller boys are definitely the sweetest! We are truly lucky girls to have them in our lives! It's been exciting to feel our little guy move more and more as the weeks go by. Dan has finally been able to feel him several times too, which warms my heart! I can't even imagine being pregnant with two little ones, you must be on the go all the time!

    ReplyDelete